- v. 雇佣；使用
- They employ casual labor to pick the fruit
- You must employ someone to oversee the project.
- Why do you think we should employ you?
- Different artists employ different painting techniques.
- We employ different security techniques to protect the database.
- The factory employed 600 hands.
- He employs three typists.
- They employed five waiters.
- We could not employ him then.
- If you don't trust him, why do you employ him?
- They didn't dare to employ a good-looking girl themselves for fear of what people would say.
- This bird employs its beak as a weapon.
- How do you employ your spare time?
- He employs his time wisely.
- You should employ your time better.
- They have employed none of the imported alloys in manufacturing this kind of steel.
- He employed himself teaching English.
- His wife employs part of her leisure time working in their garden.
- He employed his spare time reading novels.
- At the moment I am employed by International Computer Co.Ltd.
- New methods of production were employed a few years ago.
- You would be better employed tidying your room.
- They employed the girl as a typist.
- We employ her as an English interpreter.
- The company employed his sister as a secretary.
- The company employs Mr.Tetterman as a consultant.
- We employ English as a common language.
- This bird employs its beak as a weapon.
- All the units employ hollow burned-clay blocks as the basic raw material.
- She is employed as a bank clerk.
- Richard is employed as an accountant.
- She is employed as a secretary in the firm.
- He once was employed as a country school-teacher.
- A hollow tube is often employed as a conductor of current.
- He employed ten workers to sell computers.
- We usually employ a knife to cut up food.
- We are employing a firm of architects to design a new extension.
- We employed a lawyer to straighten out our legal tangle.
- The police employed force to open the door.
- The police had to employ force to break up the crowd.
- She was employed to design an engine.
- I left their employ after an argument.
- He found a good employ.
- employ about (v.+prep.)
雇用 give work and pay to
employ sth about sth
It is a pity that such an ability as him should be employed about such trifling matters.
- employ at (v.+prep.)
雇用 pay sb to work (at a particular place, or rate of pay)
employ sb at sth/v-ing
The company employs thousands of men at its car factory.
Large numbers of female workers are employed at the lowest rates of pay.
- employ for (v.+prep.)
把…用来做 use sth to do sth
- employ in (v.+prep.)
使忙于,使从事于 be busy with sth or do-ing sth
employ oneself/sth in sth/v-ing
She employed all her free time in sewing.
He employed his spare time in reading.
He employs himself in reading after work.
He is employing himself in compiling a dictionary of English idioms.
She employed herself in writing.
We should always be employed in something.
They were employed in scientific researches.
More scientists are being employed in studies to develop new medicines.
She was employed in watering the flowers.
The children were employed in weeding the garden.
She was employed in copying letters.
For a day or two we were busily employed in unpacking and laying out our property to the best advantage.
He was employed in a bank.
- in the employ of〔in sb's employ〕
受…雇用,在…任职 employed by
- employ a hammer 使用锤子
- employ a knife 使用一把刀
- employ a method 使用方法
- employ a secretary 雇一个秘书
- employ a servant 雇一个仆人
- employ a typewriter 雇一个打字员
- employ a worker 雇一个工人
- employ its beak 使用鸟嘴
- employ one's spare time 使用〔利用〕时间
- employ water 倒水
- employ actively 积极地使用
- employ advantageously 有利地使用
- employ anxiously 忧虑地使用
- employ conspicuously 惹人注目地雇用,惹人注目地使用
- employ extensively 广泛使用
- employ faithfully 诚聘
- employ figuratively 象征性地使用
- employ frequently 经常雇用,经常使用,经常忙于
- employ fully 十分忙碌于
- employ gainfully 有报酬地雇用
- employ gradually 渐渐干涸
- employ manually 从事体力劳动
- employ methodically 井井有条地雇用
- employ occasionally 偶尔使用
- employ peacefully 平和地雇用
- employ profitably 有益地雇用
- employ skillfully 熟练地从事
- employ sparingly 不滥使用
- employ steadily 稳定地使用
- employ suitably 适用
- employ systematically 系统地使用
- employ temporarily 暂时雇用
- employ thriftily 节俭地使用
- employ unceasingly 不断雇用,不断使用
- employ underground 偷偷地雇用
- employ uselessly 无用地利用
- employ usually 通常雇用
- employ vigilantly 谨慎地雇用
- employ vigorously 精力充沛
- employ wisely 善于利用
- employ out a drawer 将抽屉腾空
Employ your chiefest thoughts to courtship.出自：Merchant of Venice , Shakespeare
She employed frequently all the improper words she knew.出自： J. G. Cozzens
They were going to take a leaf out of the Germans' book and employ poison gas.出自： C. S. Forester
A complicated puzzle on which to employ his wit.出自： A. Wilson
- employ, hire
- 1.employ表示一般意义的“雇用”某人,被雇用人工作相对稳定,有固定薪水,还可能晋升职务等,多用于政府部门、工商企业、银行、公司、团体等各种机构,如果用于私人雇用时,即讲好工作待遇,就可开始工作; hire作“雇用”解时,是美式英语或非正式的英语用法,多指用低薪雇用临时工人或进行特殊工作的人。例如:
- One thousand hands are employed at this factory.这个工厂雇用1000名工人。
- They employ day-labourers during the busy season.他们忙时要雇短工。
- We hired a driver to take us on a tour of the city.我们雇了一个司机带我们浏览这个城市。
- 2.employ的宾语是人, hire的宾语可以是人,也可以是物。 例如:
- The new road will employ thousands of men.修这条新路要用成千上万的人。
- The store hired two more clerks for the sale.这家商店为了这次廉价销售又雇了两名店员。
- During the holiday we hired a boat and went fishing.假期我们租了一条船去钓鱼。
- employ, use
- They employed the weapon of self-criticism.他们使用了自我批评的武器。
- May I use your knife?我可以用你的刀子吗?
- 2.use的宾语多为具体的事物; employ的宾语多为时间、权力等抽象名词。例如:
- He employed his spare time in reading.他利用空闲时间看书。
- We used 20 tons of coal last winter.去年冬天我们用了20吨煤。
- ☆ 17世纪60年代进入英语，直接源自法语的eemploi，意为雇用，聘。