- n. 头部；头脑；顶端；领袖；硬币的正面
- v. 前进；为首；朝向
- adj. 首要的；前面的
- Please raise your head and look at the blackboard.
- The stone caught him on the side of the head.
- He had no head for business.
- We walked straight to the head of the line.
- He is the head of our school.
- After Yao died, Shun became head of the tribal confederation.
- A coin has two sides,a head and a tail.
- We are heading home.
- I would have a chance to head northward quickly.
- We elected Mr. Stevenson to head the team.
- The road heads the east.
- My mother is the head librarian of the school library.
- He got shocked by the head name on the list.
- Tom got angry at his brother and aimed a heavy book at his head.
- The old man arrived, bearing a large bundle on his head.
- Maria bent her head instinctively to avoid being recognized.
- I lifted my head and looked up.Red flags were flying from the top of the pass.
- We lifted our heads to breathe in the fresh, clear air.
- The electric fan blew hot air about our heads.
- But at last the shells cracked, one after another.One little head after another appeared.
- A passing lorry covered us in mud from head to foot.
- The original founder is still head of the organization.
- Bill was appointed head of the election committee when the government crisis was over.
- The head of the workshop ordered that the work should be finished in two days.
- Let us send the finished products to the head of the workshop to be checked.
- They advanced him over the heads of his seniors.
- I waited at the head of the queue.
- He climbed to the head of his class.
- Write your address at the head of this page.
- You'd better equip your bicycle with a head light.
- The head post office fronts the railway station.
- I did a quick head count and discovered that one member of the class was missing.
- It costs about 10 pounds a head to eat there.
- He has twenty head of cattle on the farm.
- Two hundred head of cattle were killed this morning.
- His brother has a good head for mathematics.
- He should go in for accounting because he has a good head for figures.
- She being a modest woman her head was by no means turned by the acclaim which broke over her.
- You are heading north.
- The crowd is heading eastward, believing that they can find gold there.
- He realized that he was heading in the wrong direction.
- His name heads the list.
- Their cars headed the funeral procession.
- He will head a firm.
- When the president died, the vice president was chosen to head the firm.
- The delegation was headed by our Foreign Minister.
- above〔over〕 sb's head
太高深而使人难以理解 beyond sb's ability to understand
- bang〔knock〕 one's head against a brick wall
白费力气 do sth to no avail
- bang〔knock〕 sb's heads together
用武力制止争吵 threat to put an end to a dispute
- bring to a head
(使)时机成熟,濒临危急关头 bring to a point where sth must be done or decided
bring sth to a head
The assassination of the president brought matters to a head.
Matters have been brought to a head in the peace talks; tomorrow they will either succeed or fail.
- come to a head
时机成熟,濒临危急关头 come to a point where sth must be done or decided
- eat one's heads off
〈口〉吃大量的食物 eat a large amount of food
- get into one's head
充分理解,明白; 熟记 grasp an idea; memorize
get sth into one's head
Can't you get it into your head that it is dangerous to ride a motorbike without wearing protective clothing?
I have difficulty learning French irregular verbs; I just can't seem to get them into my head.
- go off one's head
发疯的,精神错乱的 go mad; lose control of one's reason
- head over heels
完全地,全部地 completely; totally
- hold one's head high〔up〕
昂首,不垂头丧气 be proud; be unashamed
- keep one's head
保持冷静 remain calm
- keep one's head above water
使自己免于负债 remain out of debt
- not know whether one is on one's head or one's heels
不能理解; 被…弄糊涂 be unable to understand; be completely confused by
- off the top of one's head
不假思索 without thinking
- old head on young shoulders
年轻而有见识(的人),人小鬼大 wisdom in youth
- on one's head
由某人负责 on one's responsibility
- put one's heads together
共同商量 think out a plan with other people
- put out of one's head
放弃某念头 deliberately forget
put sth out of one's head
I had considered becoming a model, but I soon put the idea out of my head when I got married and started a family.
- standing on one's head
十分容易 effortlessly; with ease
- turn sb's head
使某人爱慕 make sb fall in love
- head after (v.+prep.)
开始追赶… begin to chase (usually sb)
head after sb
If you head after the robbers now, you might catch them before they leave the town limits.
- head away from (v.+adv.+prep.)
向(某地点)的反方向移动,运动 move in the opposite direction to (sth such as a place)
head away from sth
Heading away from the mountains,I soon found an easier path leading downhill to the village.
- head back (v.+adv.)
转身,折回 turn round; begin to return
We ought to be heading back if we want to reach home before dark.
- head for〔toward〕 (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉引向好〔坏〕结果 cause to encourage (sth good or bad effect) to happen
head for〔toward〕 sb/sth
We saw him heading for us, so we stepped aside.
We got on a bus and headed toward Dover.
我们登上了一辆公共汽车朝多佛方向驶去。head sth for〔toward〕 sth
They headed the boat toward the shore.
他们把船驶向岸边。head for〔toward〕 sth
You're heading for an accident if you drive after drinking alcohol.
You are heading for trouble if you go on behaving like that.
The firm will head toward bankruptcy unless a new manager is elected.
- head in (v.+prep.)
用头把(球)顶入球门 (in football) send (the ball) into the goal with one's head
head sth in sth
The centre forward headed the ball in goal.
He scored by heading the ball in goal during the last two minutes of the match.
- head into (v.+prep.)
迎着(风等)而行 take a course facing the direction of (usually the wind)
head into sth
It looks as though we're heading into a storm; let's stop here in this town overnight and wait till it has passed.
- head off1 (v.+adv.)
防止…发生 prevent (sth unpleasant, or sb from reaching an unpleasant subject)
- head off2 (v.+prep.)
防止…发生 prevent (sth unpleasant, or sb from reaching an unpleasant subject)
head sb off sth
We tried our best to head Henry off the topic, because we knew he'd reveal confidential information.
- head to (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉引出好〔坏〕结果 cause to encourage (sth good or bad) effect
head sb to sth
The girl headed her little sister to the school.
姐姐把小妹妹领到学校。head to sth
Disobeying the law can head to trouble.
- head up (v.+adv.)
(报社)为(某专栏)安排大字标题 supply a headline for (a page)
head sth ⇔ up
A band headed up the parade.
一个乐队走在游行队伍的前面。head sth ⇔ up
She heads up the Student Union.
Who is the best person to head up the special committee?
When the green vegetables head up, we'll pick what we need and give the rest to our neighbours.
蔬菜长大后,我们将采下我们所需要的,把其余的送给邻居们。head sth ⇔ up
One of my jobs at the newspaper office was to head up the page before it was printed.
- heads up (v.+adv.)
小心 be careful
- beat sb's head off 彻底战胜某人
- bury one's head in the sand 闭眼不看即将来临的危险
- count heads 清点人数
- cut off sb's head 割下某人的头
- eat one's head off 贪吃
- give one's head for the washing 俯首受辱
- go to sb's head 使某人兴奋,冲昏某人的头脑
- hang one's head 把头低下来
- have a head on one's shoulders 有见识
- have a good head 有头脑
- have a hard head 头脑顽固
- have a long head 有远见
- hide one's head 把头藏起来
- hold one's headhigh 趾高气扬,扬眉吐气
- keep one's head 保持镇静
- keep one's head above water 免遭灭顶之灾,(考试)能及格,(生意)能维持
- knock head 叩头
- knock heads together 使两人的头相撞,用武力制止两人争吵
- knock one's head against a post 头撞在柱子上
- knock sb's head off 轻易胜过某人
- lay our heads together 聚在一起商量
- laugh one's head off 狂笑不已
- lift up one's head 振作起来
- lose one's head 丧命,慌乱
- make head against 迎头痛击
- make head against all difficulties 战胜一切困难
- make head against the storm (船等)顶着风暴前进
- make head with sth 使某事有进展
- put heads together 商议,图谋
- put a head on sb 击败某人
- put one's head out of the window 把头伸出窗外
- put sth out of one's head 不再想某事
- raise one's head 抬起头
- rest one's head on the pillow 把头靠在枕头上
- run one's head against a wall 试图干不可能的事
- run one's head off 狂笑不已
- shake one's head 摇头
- show one's head 到场,出现
- talk sb's head off 谈个不休使某人厌烦
- turn one's head 回头,头脑发热
- use one's head 动脑筋
- big head 大脑袋
- clear head 清醒的头脑,头脑清楚
- good head 头脑聪明
- grey head 长有灰白发的人,白发老人
- thick head 傻瓜,笨蛋
- white head 白发苍苍的人
- wooden head 呆头呆脑的人
- business head 经济头脑
- mathematics head 数学头脑
- department head 部门主任
- family head 户主
- figure head 挂名首脑,傀儡
- household head 户主
- by head and ears 粗暴地
- taller by a head 高出一头
- from head to foot 从头到脚,全身
- feel a pain in one's head 头痛
- be light in the head 头晕,头脑简单
- be weak in the head 不大聪明
- be off one's head 神经错乱
- on one's head 在头上,四脚朝天地,归罪于某人
- blow sb on the head 击某人的头
- strike sb on the head 击某人的头
- out of one's head 精神错乱
- over sb's head 超越某人的理解力
- head to head 头对头,交头接耳地
- head for a political problem 政治头脑
- a head of hair 一头头发
- head of a table 餐桌的首位
- head of state 国家元首
- head of the household 户主
- head of the list 名单之首
Kelsoe..had had his head..torn from his body.出自： R. Ingalls
The only starers were the glass eyes of a pair of buffalo heads.出自： J. Masters
If you head and hang all that offend that way.出自：Measure for Measure , Shakespeare
- head作物体的“上端,顶部,前端”解,是单数名词,常接定冠词the和of,组成the head of的结构。
- 在足球术语中, head表示用头进球,可用作不及物动词或及物动词,其后常接介词in。
with bend head, Jack made a full confession.
- 短语bend down表示“弯腰”。
- head, chief, chieftain, president
- The mayor displaced the police chief.市长把警察局局长撤换了。
- The Queen is the chief of the armed forces by right.女王理应是武装部队的统帅。
- He was the chief of the clan.他是那个部族的族长。
- Zhang Hua was chosen the head of the factory.张华被选为厂长。
- The original founder is still the head of the organization.最早的创始人仍是该组织的领导人。
- He used to be a Highland chieftain.他过去是一个苏格兰高地的族长。
- John was the chieftain of a band of robbers.约翰是一伙强盗的头目。
- head for, head to
- 1.head for的意思是“引向某地〔某人〕”,而head to则是“引出…结果”。
- 2.在用法方面, head for常用于进行体; head to一般不用于进行体。
- head up, heads up
- 这两个短语中的head一个是单数形式,一个是复数形式,但词义和用法完全不同。head up的意思是“在…前面”“领导或主管…”; 而heads up的意思是“小心,当心”。head up在句中作谓语,而heads up则在口语中用于独立祈使句。
误 They sold six million heads of horses, cattle and sheep to the state.
正 They sold six million head of horses, cattle and sheep to the state.
析 head用来表示动物数量时,不管前面的数字为多少, head总是用单数形式。他在语言方面有才能。
误 He has a good head to language.
正 He has a good head for language.
误 His father struck his head.
正 His father struck him on the head.
析 “敲打某人的头”要用strike sb on the head来表示。
误 They are all heading to Chicago.
正 They are all heading for Chicago.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的heafod；最初源自原始日耳曼语的khaubuthan，意为身体顶部。